Here are some good stories I’ve come across in the past week.
– The great Barbara Ehrenreich writes about Americans’ eternal optimism.
– A great photo essay by Peter Van Agtmael about his time with a Marine unit in Afghanistan, titled ‘Two Weeks in Forever‘.
– More photos: A Corbis Images gallery to mark the upcoming 20th anniversary of the Berlin Wall falling.
– In the Globe & Mail, Lawrence Martin writes about Canadian foreign policy in his piece ‘Canada Used to Be the One with the Global Conscience‘.
– I’m excited for the release of ‘SuperFreakonomics‘ on Tuesday, though this piece points to some problems in their section on global warming. Ezra Klein has more criticism here.
(Update: Stephen Dubner responds to criticisms)
– Recommended to me, and on my to-do list today is to read Lawrence Lessig’s essay “Against Transparency, the Perils of Openness in Governmentt”.
Enjoy your Sunday.
Filed under: Weekend Reading and Entertainment